Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Chain Painting

Gosh, I'm terrible at staying on top of blogging. Good news is that in the long gaps in between posts, I get a lot of goals done! :)  This particular project went (embarrassingly) unfinished for YEARS. I wish that was an exaggeration, but I literally started it in May of 2008 and just finished it on January 24, 2013. And to be honest, I really could/should work on it more, but I'm peace with it for now. The thing that finally got me to pick up a brush was because my mother hung it on the wall! You can't hang a painting that's only 87% done! (Yep, I did precise calculations on that. ;) I just hated that people were seeing it unfinished, so on my last trip home I packed my paints!

The ironic thing about the painting, is that I was trying to finish it fast. I even set up a camera to take time lapse shots of it as I progressed. Here are the shots in a little movie format:



A little bit about the painting: When I was at school in Savannah, GA, I took a picture of this chain which is on a swing on Tybee beach. At the time I was in this little book club that was reading "The Artists's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity" by Julia Cameron. It's was a pretty inspiring book, and one of the exercises that I enjoyed was the challenge of doing something to get out of your routine. One morning I woke up to use the restroom at like 4AM. Instead of falling back into bed like any sane college student would do, I grabbed my camera, jumped in my car, and headed to the beach to catch the sunrise! It was an exhilarating experience, so I painting this image to remind me of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment