Tuesday, May 31, 2011

backflippy floppy

Convo in my head to myself about a year ago...
(It feels super cheesy/embarrassing to type it out, but it's probably pretty close to accurate...)

"you got this."

"no, you'll break your neck."

"you've done a million of these; no big deal."

"you could easily get your foot caught in the net."

"just jump high, then tuck, no worries..."

I finally went for it and maintained my ability to do a back flip on a trampoline. It felt like such a big victory, because I thought I was about to lose the trick forever. I know it probably sounds silly that I cared so much. I pondered my internal struggle later and came to the realization that it really wasn't about not being able to do the flip again, it was about almost losing a piece of my youthful sense of adventure/fearlessness.

After that experience, I've tried to keep in mind a youthful perspective on life when I can remember to. For instance now I tell myself, if it's snowing and freezing out, go and play in the yard even if your toes become icicles. Or, if there's a puddle you want to splash in, go for it and don't worry that you might get muddy. I feel like as we get older we're more concerned about our comfort and safety than maybe is really necessary.

So now that you know the backstory, maybe #73 (do a backflip on a trampoline) doesn't seem so random anymore. :] Plus, wouldn't it be cool to be a 40ish year old mom who can still do a backflip?!

Here's a video Brian took of me doing the trick. The two kids after me are his nephew, Xavier, and niece, Jayden. Tell me they are not the cutest kids ever. Enjoy watching us embrace our youth! :]

No comments:

Post a Comment