Wednesday, July 18, 2012

made a new friend(?)

We've been in Hawaii almost 3 months now. Crazy! Thankfully, I'm finally to the point where I don't have to have Siri help me find where I'm going every freaking time I leave the house. Another nice thing, is that we've slowly figured out the best places to take the dogs for exercise. Turns out there is a great park just a short walk from our house where we can let them off leash. Turkey loves it because he can really pick up some major speed in games of chase and Storm likes it for all the lizards that she tries to hunt down.

Here are few instagram pics from the park:



So, the reason I'm going on about the park is because it leads me to goal #49, make a new friend. I think it was the very first time we came to the park that we met Linda and her old, but sprightly dog, Pete. Linda was quite chatty, so we covered a lot of ground in getting to know each other right away. After about 30 minutes, it was clear that we had a lot in common in regards to interest in outdoor activities. She offered to take us out on a hike sometime, so we exchanged numbers before we left so that we could set something up. I was excited to be introduced to new places by a local.

It took a week or two (and the hiking got put on the back burner), but eventually Linda and I got together to go swimming instead. She knew of a good place to go out in the ocean where there was a windsock as a target. It turned out to be a lovely swim, and we even saw some fish. Linda was very personable and easy going. We planned to do it again.

I have to say that even though it was an enjoyable experience, something felt weird about it, and I think it was our age difference. I'd like to think I could be friends with anybody, but I guess a 28 year old and a 47(?) year old, because of different life experiences, eventually run out of things to talk about? Luckily when swimming you don't have to do much talking, so we went out again, but after that we quit calling each other, because I think we both felt the weirdness. 

Oh well, I'm kind of giving myself credit for this goal anyways, because we were friends for a couple weeks. Unfortunately, it just didn't last, but luckily I've found a new swimming buddy in Bonnie! (my old friend from high school who lives here now) We're going to train for a 2.348 mile roughwater swim! yikes!


No comments:

Post a Comment