Monday, July 23, 2012

mmmmm...thai food!

Crisp salad with special house peanut sauce, perfectly seasoned hot and sweet vegetable soup, and for the grand finale, spicy chicken gang deang with creamy coconut milk mixed in a medley of carrots, bell peppers, bamboo shoots, and fresh thai basil. Oh, Thai Bistro, how I've missed you!

This fine Memphis establishment was my lunchtime addiction. I probably should have sought out therapy, because, like a drug addict, almost every single Thursday I would shamelessly show up to get the above lunch special to go. (And it had to be Thursday, see, because that was hot and sweet vegetable soup day, which was by far the best.) I really am kind of embarrassed to say, but it got to the point where the owner, Ann, would expect my call. She would just pick up the phone and tell me right away that "my usual" would be ready in 15 minutes. Bad, right?! But so goooood, I couldn't help it! :)

my to go soup lid


Anyway, since being in Honolulu, I have tried to find something even remotely comparable at thai restaurants here. No such luck. As I was mourning this fact one day, between my whines and whimpers, Brian told me I just needed to try to make some on my own. A novel idea, but cooking curry seemed so foreign! It needs fish sauce?! I don't think I want to touch that. Well, with more encouragement from Brian, I finally decided to just give it a shot. It was one of my goals anyway (#66).


I have to say it turned out better than I expected. And, surprisingly, the actual cooking process wasn't as complicated as I thought it would be. However, something definitely wasn't quite right, and I think that was because I made some compromises with the ingredients. For instance, I used regular basil, not thai basil, and because of my fear of the fish sauce, I don't think I put in enough. I've tried to make the dish twice since then, and I'm getting better! Brian picked up some thai basil from the farmer's market and that makes a world of difference! I still don't think I'll ever reach the pinnacle that is Thai Bistro, but I'm just glad I have an alternative to the so-so thai restaurants we're finding here.


No comments:

Post a Comment